Skip to content
Minimum Standards for Qualification to Drive
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have a valid Class A CDL with an X endorsement (T also in Utah, N if only hauling water) in the state of residence. Will allow a grace period of 30 days if a recent relocation has occurred.
- Must be able to pass a DOT physical and drug screen administered at an Iowa Tanklines authorized clinic.
- Two years tractor-trailer experience is required to transport hazardous materials, one year of tractor trailer experience is required to transport non-hazardous materials. One year tractor-trailer experience in the last 5 years.
- No more than two moving violation convictions in the previous three years.
- Ten years employment history. Four years verifiable. To include military service, school, self-employment and periods of unemployment.
- Any accident during the past five years may disqualify the applicant.
- The following violations will disqualify the applicant:
a. D.U.I. last 5 years
b. Reckless Driving or equivalent last 5 years
c. Revocations for any reason last 5 years
d. Habitual violator last 5 years
e. Suspensions related to driving behavior last 3 years
f. Speeding over 15 mph last 3 years
g. Any questionable violation.
h. An excessive number of non-moving violations.
i. “Serious Violations” as defined by the FMCSR (49 CFR Part 383)
- Felony convictions within the previous seven years will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- PSP Report
a. Driver OOS violations may disqualify the applicant
b. Numerous and repetitive violations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may disqualify the applicant.